Only a portion of the defensive walls that originally entirely encircled Novigrad’s historic center have survived today. When the Venetian rulers arrived in the 13th century, the stronghold was constructed. For example, in 1270 Novigrad was compelled to formally recognize Venice’s control during the tumultuous struggle between the two strong Italian ports for dominance on the Adriatic. This was followed by the city’s thorough fortification.
The walls of Novigrad are the result of painstaking work by local craftsmen who, in their archaic, old-fashioned way, erected and repaired high ramparts, built of hewn rubble. The top belt of the walls made in the form of a toothed crown (merlatura) is a typical feature of medieval defensive architecture.
After construction, the belt of the ramparts was renovated several times and reinforced with round Renaissance towers. The quadrangular tower preserved next to the city gate, which was once the main entrance to Novigrad, dates from an earlier period.
There are also assumptions that the medieval walls were built on much older, ancient foundations. The most recent reconstruction of the walls was done in 2004 and 2005, when parts of Prolaz Venecize Street and the coastal section near the park were renovated.
Villa Lorena is located just in the heart of Novigrad old town and next to these famous city walls.